-
April 13th, 2005, 06:47 PM
#11
Senior Hostboard Member
Hi Altec Fan, his webpage has been under construction for years. There really is no place to get information about all his products. If you call his phone which is listed on the webpage, he will send you info.
GM, it is an expo flare and goes right down to 80hz, but then falls off quickly. The 515 is one of the best for that cab and with its small sealed back chamber, is suppost to kick you in the chest. I'll let you know how it all turns out. Cheers.
-
April 14th, 2005, 12:47 AM
#12
Senior Hostboard Member
Greets!
I used to have 210s converted to compression loading, which made them the functional equivalent of a single driver 1/4WL 70Hz horn, so I can confirm that 'chest kicking' is an apt description.
GM
-
April 14th, 2005, 03:56 AM
#13
Inactive Member
AFAIK the 80 Hz horn is an exponential, so with a closed backchamber tuned to the flare rate frequency it can go down to 80Hz (but then drops more rapidly then an A7)
-
April 17th, 2005, 03:06 AM
#14
Inactive Member
Hi All,
Just a few words on the Edgar 80 Hz horns...
They are an exponential flare with a ~18 1/2" x 25" mouth x 23"long with a 8 1/2" rear chamber.
They do extend down to 80 Hz. I use a Altec 416Zs, but have also used D130F with acceptable results. EV 15 will also work well. Altec 515Gs would be my first choice.
I cross over actively at 400Hz, though HF extention will go higher, depending on mass corner and inductance of the particular driver.
The horn construction is MDF backed with plywood ribs with two sides straight, the other two flared. The units are shipped strapped on a pallet, are covered in plastic, and arrived here in great shape, though they will fill the back of a pick-up.
The problem I had is building an acceptable box around the horn. It is made difficult by the flare, and the subsequent resonant cavities that inevitably occur when squaring off what is essentially a crude pyramid mounted to a baffle. You end up cutting and fitting a lot of bracing materials at odd angles, then stuffing the cavities with foam or equivalent.
Due to more limited dispersion with the horn, in a smallish room you may encounter a fairly intense "pin your ears back" type of presentation at close (8' - 10') range, compared to the direct radiator equivalent. These do need some room to breathe.
With the right set-up though, your midbass will really improve.
Tim
-
April 17th, 2005, 05:13 PM
#15
Senior Hostboard Member
Hi Tim. I though about how to build the cab around the flare but in talking with Bruce, he said he builds the box for $100.00 for both.....sold! I'd have to spend that much just for tools and would do a poor job at that. I have about 15 feet to my listening position so should be ok, but I like the pin-you-back sound at times. Cheers.
-
April 18th, 2005, 03:01 PM
#16
Inactive Member
Sounds as if you are all set. Didn't know about the box option being available. That will solve some problems, certainly. Bruce must have had some feedback on the construction difficulties and provided a fix. Good guy, Bruce.
Let me know how the new additions pan out for you.
Tim
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks